Exquisite Fine art cased piano by Erard serial number 79198 made in the year 1899,
sold by Boudet Paris high end luxury furniture boutique.
A fine French ormolu-mounted mahogany, satinwood and fruitwood marquetry and parquetry-inlaid upright piano.
The movement by Erard, The case attributed to Alfred Beurdeley, Paris, Dated 1899.
Grand piano, ca. 1840
Érard & Co., London
Wood, various materials; L. of case (perpendicular to keyboard) 97 1/4 in. (247 cm); W. of case (parallel to keyboard) 58 7/8 in. (149.5 cm)
Gift of Mrs. Henry McSweeney, 1959 (59.76)
Sébastien Érard (1752–1831), who made his first piano in 1777, manufactured harps and pianos, and published music. Founding his firm in Paris in 1768, he served many French aristocrats: the duchesse de Villeroy provided him with a workshop, and he designed a special transposing piano for Marie Antoinette. The French Revolution seriously impaired sales (many of Érard's early instruments were confiscated from the aristocracy and burned), so he opened a second manufacturing and sales facility in London.
Érard's first pianos featured an English-style action (key mechanism), but by 1822 his brother and business partner Pierre had patented an improved mechanism featuring a double escapement, to permit players to repeat notes with greater speed and control. This action, with a few refinements, is used in today's grand pianos.
The cast iron frame had been patented in America in 1825, but European piano makers hesitated to adopt this feature (Conrad Graf continued to make wood cases until about 1840). In 1825, the Érard firm patented a frame constructed of iron bars and plates. While not as rigid and effective as the cast iron frame, the bolted-on iron bars, mounted both above and below the soundboard, greatly improved tuning stability. Many prominent musicians, including Haydn and Beethoven, used Érard pianos. Liszt made his sensational Paris and London debuts on Érard pianos fitted with the newly invented double-repetition action...
Erard Paris Grand Piano serial number 73407 - Year 1895
Grand piano made by Erard Paris serial number73407 made in the year 1895 case made of rosewood at a length of 190 cm. This model of piano is also one of our more sought after because of the size and sound...
Erard grand piano made in Paris serial number 63488 made in the year 1888
Model No 1 being one of Palace Pianos most popular model being sought after by Musicians and artists around the world. Case made of Rosewood at 212cm Straight strung.
Erard Art cased Grand piano sells high at Christies London
Realized Price of over 200 000 Euros
Another great example of safe and secure investments in Art and music history
The Erard archives records this piano as:
Grand piano n°1, style Louis the XV, very rich, bois satiné, decorated with bronze doré (6 feet)
It was finished in April 1905 and sold for 11,400 francs on 5 October 1908 to Mme. Vve Th. Rivierre of 3 rue de Luynes, Paris. Marie Rivierre was the widow of Théodore Rivierre who founded the firm of Clouterie Rivierre, a leading French pre-war manufacturer of nails, pins and tacks. Following her husband's death in 1900, Marie Rivierre expanded the factory and entered new international markets to Argentina and Indochina. On the eve of the First World War, the factory employed four hundred people. She participated in the war effort, particularly by making shoe tacks for the army. She died at Chantilly in January 1937 aged 64 years.
This piano is in the distinctive fin de siècle style of high-rococo fused with Art Nouveau. This new style was formed by the artistic association of the ébénistes Joseph-Emmanuel Zwiener and François Linke with the sculptor Léon Messagé, aided by the proximity of Linke's workshop at 170 rue du Faubourg Saint-Antoine to Zwiener's at 12 rue de la Roquette and Messagé's nearby studio at 40 rue Sedaine.
Messagé was inspired by Meissonnier's asymmetrical ornament of the early 18th century to produce rococco, flowing, designs for furniture and to sculpt gilt-bronze mounts of lively, high-relief allegorical figures linked by delicate organic frames. Messagé supplied designs to Linke from circa 1885 and had worked with or for Zwiener since probably 1880 or 1881, and is also recorded to have worked for the firm of Boudet. However it was at the Paris 1889 Exposition Universelle that Messagé achieved international recognition when he, and Zweiner, received a gold medal for an important serre-bijoux
cabinet, subsequently sold Christie's, London, 17 March 2011, lot 409 (£623,650)...